Wednesday 2 May 2012

Meet and Greet


nterview with Lois Maude Blacklock, ceramic artist and history buff.

Lois Maude Blacklock talks to me about her work and inspirations.

Use five words to describe your work
Fragile, Emotive, Vacant, unpolluted, melancholy

o What makes your work different from everybody else’s?
I guess everyone is always surprised when I explain the concept behind my work. The last few years my work has had a recurring theme of Tudor history. This is not something that is explored necessarily in modern art and certainly not ceramics. I also enjoy bringing other materials into my work, I don’t like to be tied down to one material, I find that far too limiting.

o If you had to work in any other medium, what would it be?
Before I specialized in ceramics I had my heart set on textiles. It has been my main focus throughout school and college. This stemmed through my love of fashion, although I quickly found that having an interest in something and pursuing it as a career are two completely different things! I found that I was better as an admirer of fashion rather than a maker.    

o What is the biggest challenge you face with your work?
The themes of my work are quite unusual by modern art standards. I tend to take inspiration from historical events, particularly anything Tudor. I find solace in history, particularly English history. Everything was a certain way, there is a definite action. History is sturdy, art is not. I guess this juxtaposition makes my whole process a little more palatable, the concept will always be definite, the representation in ceramics is the challenge.

o How do you want people to react to your work?
I want them to be genuinely interested. A big ask for a stuffy theme, but I hope that my work has enough of a fresh outlook that people will want to know the back story.

Lois will be exhibiting at the National Glass Centre from the 15th of June to the 21st of June. Find more about her work through her blog at crazyclaylady.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment