Monday 25 April 2011

One Does

So this Friday is the Royal Wedding, huzzah! Nothing wrong with a bit of royalism from time to time, as long as it's put into context with some 'Off with their heads!' type thinking. As someone who hasn't lived through a royal wedding, I admit it, I'm intrigued.

Why am I supposed to watch it? How am I supposed to watch it? Am I supposed to wear a hat?

One thing's for sure, there's a range of things I could buy to get in the mood. Ceramics and the monarchy have a strange symbiotic relationship. Some big thing comes along, there's nothing we Brits like more than to slap it on a mug, and the royals like to say 'I buy such and such' which makes more people buy it too. Almost win-win. Here's some of the best commemorative tat I've seen.

The mysterious 'Loving Cup' (available from all good royal merchandisers) Linda Hancox, the creator from Stoke-on-Trent is very proud but I can't find any other work of her's so will have to judge her on the 'Loving Cup'. Feel free to research what on earth a Loving Cup is, I think it has something to do with having two handles but I'd rather keep it vague and imagine it's for pagan fertility rites.



This James Brown poster brings a bit of Vegas pizzazz to our patriotism, spangling up our Union Jack seems an odd idea, but I kinda dig it here. Plus it makes the royal wedding seem like what it is, a big show, a carnival and a circus all rolled into one massive hodge-podge of Britannia.

Of course if you wanted to go all subversive on their arses then you could get yourself an anarchists mug from Baroness Carrie von Reichardt and swig tea out of anarchist statements.

Or if you're thinking of shopping local, have a gander at work in Made in Newcastle's range of royal fancies, sugary sweet and just around the corner and buying British means your being proper patriotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment